Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Movies to see this summer: 'Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II'

What it’s about:
Harry, Ron and Hermoine (Daniel Radcliffe, Rupert Grint, and Emma Watson) continue their final push to locate the Horcruxes and destroy Lord Voldemort (Ralph Fiennes).

Why you might not excited about it:  
There aren’t really many complaints about the Harry Potter film franchise except for discrepancies between the books and the movies. That’s inherent in any book adaptation. 

However, some people did not like that Part I was “too slow and boring.” I don't think it was, but I can see why some people feel that way. There was a heck of a lot of sitting in the woods and debating the next move. But that’s what happens in the story, and it’s character building. There’s a lot of conflict in those scenes and a lot is going on between the characters. Sorry there wasn’t a battle in the middle of all that, but that would have pissed off a lot of people.

And to the people who complain that Part I just felt like a big set-up for Part II, well, it kind of is. That’s why they’re called Part I and Part II. I understand that films should be judged on their own and not based on what comes before or after it, but this is a series. One book/film affects each book after it. That’s the sheer beauty of the stories. Trust me, everything in Part I is just as important as its payoff in Part II.

Why you should be excited for it: 
Listen, if you’ve stuck with the franchise this far, you obviously don’t need me to tell you why this movie will be awesome. This will be the final film of the series and we finally get to see the climactic Battle of Hogwarts. Like I said, there’s not much I can say that you’re not already aware of.

For those who have issues with the pace of Part I, fear not. Part II is going to be much more action-oriented. Plus, everything(not only from Part I but the series as a whole) gets a payoff. I don’t want to talk about too much, having read the books myself, but I will say that this movie should be a satisfying conclusion to this incredible series.

Check out the trailer:

The film opens everywhere on July 15th. Mobile residents can see the film in 2D and 3D in the Hollywood and Carmike cinemas.

No comments:

Post a Comment